LIGHTSHIP OVERFALLSLIGHTSHIP OVERFALLS FINAL PORT
LEWES, DE
___________________________________________________

The Lightship Overfalls (LV118) was built in 1938 and is one of 7 survivors of the 179 lightships that marked the U.S. waterways over a 163 year period.  Since 1973, the Overfalls has been in its current location along the Lewes and Rehoboth Canal.

In 2001, the non-profit Overfalls Maritime Museum Foundation was formed to purchase the Overfalls from the Lewes Historical Society in order to restore the lightship and to provide tours allowing public access to an important piece of U.S. maritime history.  The Foundation members volunteered thousands of grueling hours to restore the aesthetics and some of the functional items of the ship, but limited access, site constraints and site limitations have restricted the Foundation from completing its task.

Duffield Associates was selected to assist the Foundation in completing the restoration of the Lightship by evaluating the site conditions and conceptualizing site configurations to optimize the final port for LV118.  Duffield worked with the Foundation in the early stages of the project to evaluate and provide an option that was previously thought to be unfeasible: having the ship repaired off-site at a shipyard and constructing a sheet pile bulkheaded berth to present the Overfalls in a natural setting rather than encasing the hull in concrete or having the ship on land.  Duffield Associates provided engineering and consulting services including: geotechnical, environmental, marine, and structural engineering, grant assistance, permit application preparation and assistance, and project drawing and specification preparation.